SOMERS POINT, N.J. (May 15, 2017) – This summer, the John R. Elliott HERO Campaign for Designated Drivers and Uber New Jersey are teaming up to promote safe and sober designated drivers.
“Designated drivers are crucial to preventing drunk driving,” said HERO Campaign founder and chairman Bill Elliott. “Uber drivers are an excellent choice to be your safe ride home and prevent drunk-driving tragedies.”
Uber users who visit HEROCampaign.com and take the HERO Pledge to prevent drunk driving will receive a promo code for $10 off their next Uber trip. First-time Uber users can get up to $20 off their initial ride using the promo code NJHERO2017.
Uber is currently working on partnerships with local businesses to sponsor free or discounted rides for HERO Pledge signers. In addition, Uber drivers are being urged to sign up as designated drivers with the HERO Campaign.
“Getting our passengers home safely is the number-one priority,” said Uber spokesman Craig Ewer. “We are proud to partner with the HERO Campaign to help put an end to drunk driving.”
- Make a Plan – Whether you intend to take an Uber or have a sober designated driver drive you home, make sure you know how you’re getting home safely before the party begins. Buy your designated driver non-alcoholic drinks.
- Have a Backup – If your initial plan falls through, keep a phone number in your wallet or purse of a sober friend or family member who will come pick you up.
- Stay Over – If you’re at a friend’s house, ask to spend the night rather than drive home.
- Leave Your Car – Many bars and restaurants encourage customers to leave their car for the night if they shouldn’t be driving.
- Spread the Message – Invite your friends and family to be designated drivers, and volunteer to be one for them. Encourage your fellow partygoers to use a sober designated driver, Uber or alternate transportation to get them safely home.